Monday, January 7, 2013

How to Form a Thesis Statement


Once you have a limited topic, the next step is to think of a defendable opinion you have about it. In this instance I apply the formula limited topic  +  controlling idea and this is what I write:  

Online college writing classes are the most effective way for students  to strengthen their writing skills.

That is a perfectly acceptable thesis statement.  However, if you want to make it even easier for yourself, you can add a “plan of development, which is really just a list of about three reasons why you have that attitude about your limited topic.  Here is how I can make my thesis even clearer:

Online college writing classes are the most effective way for students  to strengthen their writing skills because students get individualized evaluations, they feel more comfortable asking questions of instructors, and they build confidence in their writing skills by learning organization and research skills.

My three reasons are in turquoise, pink, and gray and can be placed right into an outline which I talk about here

No comments:

Post a Comment