Sunday, January 13, 2013

Help with Word Choice

Sometimes finding the correct word choice can be hard, but here are a few tips to keep in mind when writing:
Avoid excessively long sentences.
•         Despite their significance in contemporary society, social movements seldom solve social problems, because in order to mobilize resources a movement must appeal to a broad constituency, which means that the group must focus on large-scale issues which are deeply imbedded in society.
Avoid unnecessary repetition and redundancy.
•         Life offers many lessons about life.
•         People seem to learn things best when they learn them firsthand.
•         I was caught unexpectedly off guard by the boss.
•         He told me I had successfully made the grade on my new job.
•         There are many new features that can be found on my computer.
•         It is recommended that all candidates be on time for their interview.
Eliminate wordy phrases.
•         As a matter of fact
•         At the present time
•         At this point in time
•         Due to the fact that
•         In spite of the fact that
•         In the event that
•         In the final analysis
•         Until such as time as
Avoid noun-heavy style.
•         The preference of most writers is for an understanding of their composing as a species of fine frenzy.
•         Thomas Jefferson was not a believer in the divinity of Jesus Christ and indeed was the author of a version of the Four Gospels that included the removal of all references to “miraculous” events.
•         Before making the purchase of a new car, one should always perform an examination on it.
Choose words that express meaning precisely.
•         A democratic type of government basically requires a pretty informed citizenry.
Make comparisons complete and clear.
•         Talk radio has become a popular form of entertainment because it gets people more involved.
•         Abstract expressionism was more influenced by cubism than surrealism.
Use definite, specific, concrete language.
•         A period of unfavorable weather set in. / It rained every day for a week.
•         He showed satisfaction as he took possession of his well-earned award. / He grinned as he pocketed the coin.
•         You should also avoid excessive use of clichés and mixed metaphors.
o   General public, Everyday life, In today’s society, This day and age, All walks of life, Behind the eight ball, Bitter end, Calm before the storm, Fall on deaf ears, From time immemorial, In the nick of time, In the same boat, Leaps and bounds, Never a dull moment, Whirlwind tour, Writing on the wall.

1 comment:

  1. Motown Diary
    By: Jayden
    Dear Diary,
    It is the 1960s, and I got invited into a group called Motown, though I will tell you about my time with them. I like to sing when I was 20 years old when this guy was named Berry Gordy, Jr. Ask me something he said “want to join Motown” I did not know what Motown was, so I asked him what is Motown he said it was a group of people who like to sing. So I told him why not, so I joined? The group included Maurice King, Smokey Robinson, Cholly Atkins, Maxine Powell, and Berry Gordy, Jr. Motown was in the USA. I sang a song for them, and give me tips for singing. Maurice King helped me be a better music director, Smokey Robinson helped me be a better singer and how he told me he made one of his first albums, Berry Gordy, Jr. Told what Motown was and how he was the Motown's founder, Cholly Atkins helped me how to dance and created routines for other people like would like to join Motown and Maxine Powell helped me to sing and told me to go to her classes for at least 2 hours a day. I felt happy because I was getting help from good singers, I felt uncountable I do not know them, I felt not good because I felt like I was not a good singer, and I was nervous because I thought they would make fun of me for my singing. I felt they taught me how to sing, dance, who the founder was and how to be a music director. They taught me who did what, Maurice King was the music director, Smokey Robinson was Motown’s first singer, Berry Gordy, Jr. Was Motown’s founder, Cholly Atkins helped singers and to dance and created routines for them and Maxine Powell she would train singers will to sing better. Then I left Motown, but came back they told me to play a song, so I did, and they said it was bad, but bad means (awesome) they told me I improved so much as singing. I was so happy to be with them. They helped me a lot in singing, and I was glad to be with Motown’s members.
    From Jayden D’souza

    ReplyDelete