Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cohesive Introductions and Conclusions


Below are some of the things I like to do to make sure that my introductions and conclusions appear to be a cohesive unit.

1. Repeat key words, phrases, and topics. If I've brought up a point in my introduction, I like to go back to it in the conclusion. In the following example, you can see the key terms of "traditional gender roles" repeated, linking the two together.
  • Introduction Sentence: Traditional gender roles seem to be supported by television advertisements.
  • Conclusion Sentence: By analyzing, more closely, what we are watching on television, viewers can learn a great deal about modern stereotypes regarding traditional gender roles and the effect of such promotion in our culture.
2. Answer any unanswered questions. If I ask a question in my Introduction, I always refer back to that question and provide the answer in the Conclusion.
  • Introduction Sentence: What effect does television advertising have on cultural differences?
  • Conclusion Sentence: As exhibited, television advertising has a profound effect on the different perceptions of men and women, which can also effect the way the different sexes interact.
3. Maintain similar lengths. I like to keep my Introductions and Conclusions about the same length. If I have a 10 sentence Introduction, then I like to have a 8-12 sentence Conclusion. This tends to ensure that I am countering or re-stating everything I bring up in my Introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment